The first, first visit.

Our first visit was also an over night visit. We are in the process of a transition from a family placement to a foster care placement (that’s us!) We have a unique situation, but who doesn’t. We came about this placement because we actually know the person who has the children now (birth mom’s relative is also my relative through marriage). They have had the children for awhile, at least a year for youngest and possibly four years for the eldest. They love them dearly and have taken very good care of them. The issue is age and what that would mean to the future of these sweet children. I say they because there are other family members who also help, a lot.
I feel like that is enough information for now, at least enough that you can understand the circumstances of our first visit.

The call came Thursday. The visit was set for Friday. I have never felt nesting so strongly in my life and I have carried and delivered three babies. The house was clean. The extra room was set up. That involved me moving the twin bed from upstairs to our downstairs spare room, alone. Nesting turns a normal woman into a super woman. I moved a full size bed also but that one didn’t require stairs being navigated. Matching pjs were hanging in the girls room and in the boys room. Matching water bottles had been purchased and were waiting on the table. We were set and ready.

At 5 o’clock we were just waiting, one hour to go.Thing 1,2,and 3 were standing at the door waiting and watching, so excited. The phone rang and we found out that they were ready and couldn’t wait any longer so they were coming early if it was ok with us! Of course!

Twenty minutes later “Rough Nut” ran to the front door and let himself in! Not shy at all he came right on in and we made sure he knew everyone’s names. Right away he noticed we have a wii. Thing 1 and Rough Nut played wii while I let the rest of the family in. Tough Nut was a little more reserved but it didn’t take her long to warm up.

They are both beautiful children with big personalities. All the kids got along as though they had always known each other. It was beautiful. I was able to connect with both Rough Nut and Tough Nut (these names are just picked from the movie and do not reflect them at all).

All in all the first visit went well. There were a few curve balls but nothing to complex. Of course sleeping in a strange place with extra adults made it a little tricky but it worked out and no one was upset or went without sleep.

The next day the family needed to go run some errands and such but allowed Rough Nut to stay with us at his request! After several more hours of play the family came to pick him up. He didn’t want to leave and cried. It was tough even at this point to let him go knowing he wanted to stay.

We know that the family they are with right now love them dearly and want to keep them. They plan to appeal these decisions. We also know that that has nothing to do with their delight in our willingness to welcome the children into our home. It is a confusing situation but Jones and I feel confident that at the very least we can be a help while they make their appeals and if God intends it to be more than that, it will be in His time and in His ways.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s